Skip to content

Digia’s survey: Pioneers are making progress in utilizing artificial intelligence, most are still searching for direction

Digia’s survey reveals that Finnish organizations have awakened to the possibilities of artificial intelligence, but the majority still lack direction and plans behind the vanguard. Digia’s CEO Timo Levoranta urges companies to get moving - utilizing artificial intelligence is even a matter of Finnish society’s competitiveness.

There’s plenty of talk about artificial intelligence, but is there a genuine commitment to it? Only 15 percent of respondents in Digia’s survey say that there is “quite well” or “enough” funding and management commitment to promote the use of artificial intelligence - in other words, these are lacking in 85 percent.

In 52 percent of organizations, the products of data analysis and artificial intelligence have been utilized at least somewhat in decision-making and measures. The remaining 48 percent reported that they do not yet have such data and AI activities that would genuinely benefit the business.
The survey found, pleasingly, that just under half of the organizations have set some kind of goals for the use of artificial intelligence. The challenge is that only ten percent followed the achievement of goals in some way - and even then, there were seen to be shortcomings in the follow-up. 52 percent reported that no goals had been set for the use of artificial intelligence.

58 Finnish organizations responded to the survey, representing a wide range of different types and sizes of companies and public sector actors.

In terms of maturity, companies are divided into three groups - the situation of the cautious is even alarming

The survey was based on Digia’s artificial intelligence maturity model. The model outlines 11 perspectives on the use of artificial intelligence from management commitment and vision to available resources, technical capabilities, and ethical guidelines. The idea is that all 11 points must be taken into account in order to successfully utilize artificial intelligence. The model helps to identify development targets and plan steps to increase AI capabilities.

Based on maturity, respondents are divided into three groups. Nine percent belonged to the more advanced vanguard. The rest were divided into two equally large groups: mid-level movers and cautious. Even the pioneers are still in the early stages of change, as their average maturity level is about three on a scale of one to five.

It can be considered alarming that about 45 percent of respondents belong to the cautious group, which is just starting out in all 11 areas of the maturity model.

Now it’s time to get moving - the role of management is central

The overall picture emerging from the results can be considered worrying in that the AI revolution is in full swing, and 2024 is a turning point in many ways.

“This year, companies are taking broad first steps in everyday use of artificial intelligence. In 2025, AI will be spread more widely in organizations. Early adopters naturally get the most benefit, and others start to fall behind,” says Juhana Juppo, CTO at Digia.

“Artificial intelligence and digitalization in general play a key role in building the competitiveness and success of the entire Finnish business sector and society. It is a crucial question for society as a whole how organizations utilize the new possibilities of technology,” says CEO Timo Levoranta.

Levoranta calls for a management role in the AI revolution: the change must be actively led and directed in the right direction.

“In 2024, management must already have a deeper understanding of what artificial intelligence means for their own business. In practice, this requires that at least some kind of experimentation with the everyday use of artificial intelligence is started in the company,” he sums up.

“There is no mystique associated with artificial intelligence, and there is no need to wait, as the benefits are available from everyday use cases already now. The experiments and first steps will find the utilization targets where artificial intelligence brings the greatest value,” says Juhana Juppo.

The survey was conducted at the end of 2023 in connection with a competition, where the prize was an Artificial Intelligence Roadmap planning work.

You can review the overview at in Finnish.


Digia is a software and service company that combines technological possibilities and human capabilities to build intelligent business, society and a sustainable future. Our mission is to ensure that our customers are at the forefront of digital evolution. There are more than 1,500 of us working at Digia and we operate globally with our international customers. Digia’s turnover in 2023 was EUR 192,1 million. The company is listed on Nasdaq Helsinki (DIGIA).